Nomad Operations and Planning
Nomad clusters are hosted on dedicated servers in the FD.io lab and used to manage Docker container based executors for FD.io project CI jobs.
Physical Lab Infrastructure
- FD.io CSIT git repository keeps an up-to-date FD.io lab specification.
- Server naming convention is specified here.
Nomad Operational Status
TBD - add description or link to Nomad architecture / configuration
- TBD - Add links to Nomad monitoring status / data
Nomad Operations Tasks
This is the current list of high priority Nomad tasks.
|Task Description||Owner||% Complete||ETA|
|Move Nomad Operational Docker images from snergster docker hub account into fdiotools docker hub account.||Dave W.||50%||June 1, 2020|
|Update Ubuntu1804 & Centos7 Nomad Docker images to include clang-9 toolchain packages required by VPP 'make install-deps' and lf-infra-publish macro.||Dave W.||25%||June 2, 2020|
|New Jenkins/Nomad labels for production, verify, & sandbox||Dave W.||June 1, 2020|
|Nomad server OS upgrades/normalization. Utilize ansible to create a uniform bare-metal OS environment across all Nomad servers.||Peter M.||99.9%||May 29, 2020|
|Build & test ubuntu 20.04 and centos8 Docker images for CI executors to run respective OS jobs.||Dave W.|
|Fix server-type-c4-3 (10.32.8.16) SDD with an HDD, reinstall Ubuntu 18.04 and restore to Nomad cluster.||Dave W.||Vexxhost Ticket Created||TBD|
|Update VPP ci-management configurations to use global jjb macros (lf-publisher & build-discarder)||Vanessa V.|
|Export Gerrit & Jenkins logs and other operational data to Nomad servers||Dave W. & Vanessa V.||LF Ticket Created||TBD|
Nomad Planning Wish List
This is the list of long term Nomad tasks. Please move them to the Nomad Operations Tasks and provide owner/ET information when they are being actively worked on.
- Clean up old/unused Jenkins jobs.
- Use Configuration as Code Jenkins Plugin to manage Jenkins configuration (including Nomad Plugin) via YAML configuration files.
- Nomad cluster resiliency testing/hardening improvements.
- Nomad docker image CI/CD pipeline.
- Convert task list to use JIRA tickets/epics for tracking ongoing Nomad work.
- Create ci-management jobs to do automated build/test/verify for CI process and weekly upgrade of docker images.
- Add Nomad nodes to LF DNS & make the names the same as the hostname.
- Add automated Nomad server quorum loss tests
- Add VPP "test crash" testcase to 'make test'
- Add VPP 'make test-debug w/ ASAN enabled' verify job
- Investigate Jenkins Nomad-plugin security issues.
- Convert Nomad/Jenkins/Gerrit monitoring/screen-scraping hacks into an operational monitoring system using exported gerrit & jenkins logs & nomad cli output.
- Add a mechanism to measure/track the memory consumed by the CI jobs inside Docker images. pmikus_comment: Depends if we want ability to do live monitoring or ability of storing logs (how long?). I can make prometheus to work for us by very simple change in config.
Completed Nomad Tasks
|Task Description||Owner||% Complete||Finish Date|
|Move Nomad build executor Dockerfiles from https://github.com/snergfdio/* into the ci-management project.||Dave W.||100%||April 29, 2020|
|Add a sudoer/admin account to all Nomad Servers.||Dave W.||100%||May 18, 2020|
|Move server-type-c4-2 from Class 's5ci' to Class 'builder' to cover t4-virl* nomad clients during upgrade.||Dave W.||100%||May 18, 2020|
|Perform fresh installation of Ubuntu 18.04 Server on t4-virl1, t4-virl2, & t4-virl3||Peter M.||100%||May 25, 2020|
|Restore Nomad configuration on t4-virl1, t4-virl2, & t4-virl3 and rejoin on VPP cluster.||Peter M.||100%||May 26, 2020|