Project Contact Name and Email
- To be added
VSAP(VPP Stack Acceleration Project) aims to establish an industry user space application ecosystem based on VPP host stack. VSAP will adapt existing open source projects, e.g., Nginx and Envoy, with the host stack and will upstream changes whenever possible. The project will benefit both VPP host stack and the applications. Firstly, VSAP aims to help stabilize the host stack through community effort. Secondly, if possible, VSAP will try to enhance both host stack and the applications' performance. VSAP will firstly focus on Nginx and VPP host stack integration and long term the goal is to cover more projects.
The initial code is contributed by Intel and Shanghai Jiaotong University. POC code is ready, and we can achieve around 100% RPS improvement for 1KB Nginx requests. Below is the performance test result for reference.
VSAP's main goal is to adapt existing popular open source projects to work with VPP's host stack and, whenever possible, to upstream such changes to their respective projects. Additionally, VSAP will provide necessary configuration parameters and test scripts to help users easily start from scratch or to automate testing.
- Integrated/adapt Projects
- Start from Nginx, and will cover more projects such as Envoy, gRPC etc.
- Adapt to all environment such as bare mental, containers and VMs.
- Performance tuning
- Add CSIT tests
- Find VCL bottlenecks
- Ping Yu, @ Intel
- Florin Coras, @ Cisco
- Stephen Belair, @ Cisco
- Jian Li, @ Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Yuwei Zhang, @ Intel
- Shujun Zhuang, @ Intel
- Hongjun Ni, @ Intel
- Wei Xu, @ Tencent
No current or expected issues with vendor neutrality
Meets Board Policy (including IPR, being within Board defined Scope etc)
- Request for Project proposal consideration
- Email: (place link to email to TSC proposing project, this can be obtained from TSC Archives
- Date: (date proposed, makes it simpler to calculate the pre-requisite 2 week time period of gestation before being permitted to be voted on)