Project Lead: Hongjun Ni, @ Intel
Sweetcomb is a management agent written in C that runs on the same host as a VPP instance, and exposes yang models via NETCONF, RESTCONF and gNMI to allow the management of VPP instances.
Sweetcomb work as a plugin (ELF shared library) for sysrepo datastore.
Draw.io source here
- Hongjun Ni, @ Intel,
- Xingfu Li, @ HuachenTel,
- Zhuoqun Li, @ China Mobile,
- Jianjun Yang, @ China Unicom,
- Jinglong Zhi, @ China Telecom,
- Changlin Li, @ NXP,
- Tianyi Wang, @ Tieto,
- Feng Gao, @ Tencent,
- Jianyong Chen, @ Alibaba,
- Jian Gu, @ ZTE,
- Jerome Tollet, @ Cisco,
- George Zhao, @ Huawei,
Sweetcomb's main responsibility is to enable communication between northbound interfaces and VPP's management APIs, performing all necessary translations in the background. It is important to note that many features and utilities will be reused from open source projects and tools (e.g. netopeer2, Sysrepo) and will not be a direct part of Sweetcomb. This section is splitted into 2 sections: in-scope and out-of-scope to clearly define what is developed as part of Sweetcomb project and what will be just reused from other projects (or where Sweetcomb relies on other projects).
Sweetcomb project scope:
- Northbound interfaces exposed:
- Translation layer between VPP management and Yang based data structures
- Must support all features of VPP exposed in its APIs in an extensible manner
- Write YANG models for VPP specific features
- Expose APIs to integrate with other open source projects
- Base implementation of all generic southbound interfaces leverage VPP-VAPI
- expose APIs to integrate with SD-WAN control plane, such as SDN Controller.
- expose APIs to integrate with Routing Daemon, such as FRR.
- expose APIs to integrate with IKE protocol, such as strongswan.
- expose APIs to integrate with DPI control plane, such as nDPI.
- expose APIs to integrate with BRAS control plane, such as OpenBRAS.
Out of scope:
- VPP API (VAPI or VOM)
- VAPI: C APIs for VPP, allowing C-based applications to interact with VPP is out of scope of Sweetcomb project and is part of the base VPP project.
- VOM: C++ based API offering storage of networking objects
- Writing yang models for VPP management
- IETF and Openconfig YANG models are used as much as possible
- For missing features, we rely on Honeycomb YANG models
- Compliancy with YANG models, storage of YANG tree
- Provided by sysrepo project and libraries it uses
- Server implementation of northbound interfaces
- Integration/performance testing
- Complex integration or performance tests are out of scope of Sweetcomb project and are part of CSIT project
- Any other application based on top of Sweetcomb is out of scope of this project and needs to be hosted in a dedicated project inside or outside of fd.io
Sweetcomb releases are based on VPP version numbers as sweetcomb uses VPP API which is not backward compatible.
19.08 - Current master
19.04 - Last stable
19.01 - broken (can not be used)
Contributions must go through code-review before being merged:
git clone https://gerrit.fd.io/r/sweetcomb
Feel free to subscribe to the following mailing lists:
- email@example.com : to be notified about sweetcomb talks
- firstname.lastname@example.org: to be notified about updated of the non-backward compatible VPP API
- email@example.com : to be notified about sysrepo releases
- firstname.lastname@example.org : to be notified about sysrepo bugs, tips, discussions
Source code is divided in two directories:
- scvpp: library source code to communicate with VAPI (VPP API).
- plugins: sysrepo plugin library source code implementing xpath callbacks
- RPC operations, what data I am reading, writing
- Fault Tolerance, what happens if sweetcomb dies, or VPP dies
Implement your own module
- gNMI Server, how to use gNMI server
Backlog can be found in: sweetcomb's JIRA.
There is no current sonar analysis on: https://sonar.fd.io