VPP/AArch64

From fd.io
< VPP
Jump to: navigation, search

Get Involved

Meeting Details

IRC Channel

#fdio-arm on freenode.net

Jira

Jira issues with ARM64 label

Presentations

Release Milestones

18.10

18.07

18.04

  • CI
    • Upstream patch verification on ARMv8 machines
    • .deb packages

Machines

The FD.io lab is hosted at VEXXHOST colocation centre in Montreal Québec, Canada.

Platform Role Status Hostname IP IPMI Cores RAM Ethernet Distro
SoftIron OverDrive 1000 CI build server Running in CI softiron-1 10.30.51.12 N/A 4 8GB openSUSE
CI build server Running in CI softiron-2 10.30.51.13 N/A 4 8GB openSUSE
CI build server Running softiron-3 10.30.51.14 N/A 4 8GB openSUSE
Cavium ThunderX CI build server Running in CI nomad3arm 10.30.51.38 10.30.50.38 96 128GB 3x40GbE QSFP+ / 4x10GbE SFP+ Ubuntu 16.04
CI build server Running in CI nomad4arm 10.30.51.39 10.30.50.39 96 128GB 3x40GbE QSFP+ / 4x10GbE SFP+ Ubuntu 16.04
CI build server Running in CI nomad5arm 10.30.51.40 10.30.50.40 96 128GB 3x40GbE QSFP+ / 4x10GbE SFP+ Ubuntu 16.04
CI build server IP not configured c2-n2 10.30.51.65 10.30.50.65 96 2xQSFP+ / USB Ethernet Centos7
CI build server Running fdio-cavium5 10.30.51.66 10.30.50.66 96 256GB 2xQSFP+ / USB Ethernet Ubuntu 16.04.4
CI build server Running fdio-cavium6 10.30.51.67 10.30.50.67 96 256GB 2xQSFP+ / USB Ethernet Ubuntu 16.04.1
CI build server Running fdio-cavium7 10.30.51.68 10.30.50.68 96 256GB 2xQSFP+ / USB Ethernet Ubuntu 16.04.1
Huawei TaiShan 2280 CSIT testbed Running s15-t33-sut1 10.30.51.36 10.30.50.36 64 128GB 2x10GbE SFP+ Intel 82599 / 2x25GbE SFP28 Mellanox CX-4 Ubuntu 17.10
CSIT testbed Running s16-t33-sut2 10.30.51.37 10.30.50.37 64 128GB 2x10GbE SFP+ Intel 82599 / 2x25GbE SFP28 Mellanox CX-4 Ubuntu 17.10
Marvell MACCHIATObin CSIT testbed Need TG connections s20-t34-sut1 10.30.51.41 10.30.51.49, then connect to /dev/ttyUSB0 4 16GB 2x10GbE SFP+ Ubuntu 16.04.4
CSIT testbed Need TG connections s21-t34-sut2 10.30.51.42 10.30.51.49, then connect to /dev/ttyUSB1 4 16GB 2x10GbE SFP+ Ubuntu 16.04.4
CSIT testbed Need Port0-Port1 connection fdio-mcbin3 10.30.51.43 10.30.51.49, then connect to /dev/ttyUSB2 4 16GB 2x10GbE SFP+ Ubuntu 16.04.5

Note: to get lab access, open a ticket at https://rt.linuxfoundation.org/

CI

Covers automated build, unit test, and packaging for various Linux distros on ARMv8 machines.

Jenkins job Status Description
vpp-arm-verify-master-ubuntu1604 Running xxx
vpp-arm-merge-master-ubuntu1604 Running xxx
vpp-arm-verify-1804-ubuntu1604 Running xxx
vpp-arm-merge-1804-ubuntu1604 Running xxx

Next steps:

  • make test added to verify jobs
  • Clang build
  • openSUSE Leap 15 | CentOS 7 | Ubuntu 18.04
  • vpp-csit-verify-virl-master or equivalent CSIT functional testing

CSIT

Covers automated functional and performance integration testing on ARMv8 3-node and 2-node testbeds.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/CSIT/AArch64

Known Issues

GCC 5.3 ICEs during FP register allocation. Please use GCC 5.4 or newer.

Activity

Recent Patches

Add support for shuffle vector intrinsic via Neon in ARM Sirshak Das
Improve cpu { coremask-% } configure option Yi He
Fix undefined symbol: fformat_append_cr in vat plugins loading Yi He
pp2: increase recycle batch size Merged 7/10 Brian Brooks
pp2: change default queue size Merged 7/26 Brian Brooks
pp2: use configured RX queue size Merged 7/10 Brian Brooks
Fix load_unaligned undefined and other possible build failures Merged 6/26 Sirshak Das
Enable PMU cycle counter for graph node cycles Sirshak Das
Fix clang compilation on aarch64: extraneous parentheses Merged 6/13 Sirshak Das
Fix clang compilation on aarch64: value size does not match register size Merged 5/30 Sirshak Das
Fix clang compilation on aarch64: sizeof operator error Merged 5/30 Sirshak Das
Fix clang compilation on aarch64: replace -pie with -fPIE for dpdk compilation Merged 5/30 Sirshak Das
dpdk: set dmamap iova address value according to eal_iova_mode Merged 5/28 Sachin Saxena
Fixes make test errors with clang compiler on aarch64 Merged 5/27 Sirshak Das
Fix broken compilation for non-numa aware platforms Merged 5/16 Sachin Saxena
build-data: Common makefile for NXP DPAA1/DPAA2 platforms Merged 5/4 Sachin Saxena
arm64: Avoid setting march to corei7 when Cross Compiling for ARM Merged 5/4 Sachin Saxena
use restrict keyword VPP-1126 Khemendra Kumar
Autotools: Autodetection of cache line size VPP-1064 Nitin Saxena
add 'is_all_zero(x)' for NEON - fix build break Merged 2/20 Adrian Oanca
u8x16_compare_byte_mask optimization Merged 2/24 Adrian Oanca
Added u8x16,u32x4,u64x2 variants of _zero_byte_mask(x) for ARM/NEON platform Merged 2/26 VPP-1129 Adrian Oanca
add CLIB_HAVE_VEC128 with NEON intrinsics Merged 02/08 VPP-1127 Gabriel Ganne
Use neutral vector code for ethernet_frame_is_tagged Merged 2/19 Damjan Marion
vhost: Added ARMV8 NEON version of function map_guest_mem() Merged 2/7 VPP-1085 Nitin Saxena
vppinfra: use __atomic_fetch_add instead of __sync_fetch_and_add builtins VPP-1114 Kevin Wang
Arm system counter cleanup Merged 1/30 VPP-1125 Brian Brooks
svm: ... on autodetected VA space size (fixup again) Merged 01/10 Gabriel Ganne
svm: calc base address on AArch64 based on autodetected VA space size (fixup) Merged 01/10 Gabriel Ganne
svm: calc base address on AArch64 based on autodetected VA space size Merged 01/09 Damjan Marion
show cpu microarchitecture Merged 01/06 Gabriel Ganne
Fix Debian Packaging on AARCH64 Merged 01/06 Nitin Saxena
more extended tests fixes Merged 12/16 Gabriel Ganne
Use crc32 wrapper Merged 12/16 VPP-1086 Gabriel Ganne
implement clib_smp_pause() for arm and aarch64 platform Merged 12/15 VPP-1066 Kevin Wang
make "test-all" target pass again (for all platforms) Merged 12/13 Gabriel Ganne
fill "show cpu" Flag list on aarch64 platforms Merged 12/06 VPP-1065 Gabriel Ganne
remove smp dead code Merged 12/06 VPP-1066 Gabriel Ganne
net/virtio: support modern device id Merged 11/28 Gabriel Ganne
use REV on aarch64 for endianness swapping Merged 11/21 VPP-1067 Gabriel Ganne
armv8 crc32 - fix macro name Merged 11/15 Gabriel Ganne
bier - fix node table declaration Merged 11/14 Gabriel Ganne
Map SVM regions at a sane offset on arm64 Merged 11/10 Brian Brooks
bfd tests fix Merged 11/07 Gabriel Ganne
debian packaging fix Merged 11/06 Gabriel Ganne
lb test fix Merged 10/31 Gabriel Ganne
conditional x86intrin.h inclusion Merged 10/25 Gabriel Ganne
fix test_lb_ip4_gre6() cleanup Merged 10/24 Gabriel Ganne
null-terminate some formatted string Merged 10/20 Gabriel Ganne
lb plugin - fix format() type mismatches Merged 10/16 Gabriel Ganne
Use AESNI=y only on x86_64 machines Merged 10/14 Brian Brooks
Improved arm64 chip detection Merged 09/11 Brian Brooks
Native arm64 build: dpdk/Makefile change Merged 08/31 Brian Brooks

Meeting Minutes

8/14/2018

  • Attendees
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Lijian Zhang
    • Andy Wang
    • Tina Tsou
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Honnappa Nagarahalli
    • Brian Brooks
  • FD.io lab
    • SFP+ cables shipment showing as delivered
  • VPP
    • VPP-1339 - Mellanox NIC not working with VPP
    • VPP-1391 - VPP 'make verify' failed on Huawei Taishan servers
      • Khem looking into this
    • No updates on crypto
    • No updates on vectorization
    • Tuning dual/quad loop
      • DaveB suggests looking at MULTIARCH macros
  • CSIT
    • CSIT-1139 - parallelize 'make test'
      • Juraj updated patch with comments from Klement
    • Khem seeing failures with jumbo frames
    • Khem noticed new CSIT machines using tag to run a subset of tests
  • Documentation
    • Lijian working on patch to add Arm to Architecture section and Arm-based CSIT testbeds to CSIT section
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • [Sirshak] Create LF RT ticket for power cycling mcbins
    • [Honnappa] Add module owners list and performance analysis items to wiki page
    • [Lijian] Check if DPDK 18.08 helps Mellanox NIC issues
    • [Sirshak] Create Jira ticket to see impact of Florin's patch
    • [Sirshak] Create Jira ticket for msb
    • [Khem] Try dual loop ip4_lookup_inline patch to see if it helps on A72-based D05
    • [Brian] Help resolve VPP build failure on mcbins in FD.io lab
    • [Juraj] Enable VPP Device on 1-node SoC now that SFP+ cables have arrived
    • [Sirshak] Follow up with Cavium regarding Ubuntu installation on cavium-4
    • [Khem] Create Jira ticket for CSIT failures with jumbo frames
    • [Khem] Create Jira ticket for running a subset of tests via a tag

8/7/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Lijian
    • Andrew Pinski
    • Andy Wang
    • Tina Tsou
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Khemendra
    • Sachin Saxena
  • General Topic
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • [Khem] make verify on Taishan failure Status: No Status. Khem to create a Jira Tkt.
    • [Sirshak] cavium(4,5,6,7) USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status: [Andy] Cables to be sent today.
    • [Sirshak] Open Jira tkt look at Florin's patch. Status: To be done next week
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug(VPP-1339). Status: Failing in different place, like rx-error reported to Mellanox people by Lijian. [Lijian] To send the mail vpp-dev. [Honnappa] To talk to DPDK Mellanox DPDK community.
    • [Sirshak] Share Mellanox settings with nitin.
    • [Sirshak] to send email to yi and lijian for documentation. Status: Lijian has done the documentation under internal review.
    • [Honnappa/Nitin/Sachin] Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK. Status: [Sachin] To include Nitin suggestions and upstream.
    • [Sirshak] Send mail to LF for power cycler access for mcbin due to lack of IPMI interface Status: Sirshak to open LF Tkt
    • [Nitin] Create a Jira Tkt - ip cksum 128 bit vector support. Status: Nitin using ip incremental cksum.
    • [Sirshak] To create a LF tkt for Ubuntu 16.04 installation on cavium-4. Status: Anton tried 16.04 but it didnt work, sent mail to Cavium contact for help.
  • VPP
    • [Sirshak] Vectorization
      • msb is already implemented verifying correctness and performance.
      • [Sirshak] To raise a Jira Tkt for msb changes.
      • Have communicated to ARM compiler team related to vtbl performance.
      • planning to add cvt (extend_to) and hadd(horizontal) equivalents.
    • [Brian/Sirshak] Tuning Dual or Quad loop.
      • [Khem/Sachin] Updates on the changes seen after applying Brian's Patch. Status: No Updates.
    • [Sachin] To create Jira Card, DPDK IOVA issue. (Created VPP-1377)
    • [Honnappa] Module Ownership Discussion. Status: To come back to discussion next time. Community feedback to move to more use-case based approach.
  • CSIT
    • [Juraj] Parallelizing the make test(CSIT-1139) Status: Scheduling Done, Waiting for community review, got some internal comments Juraj working on it. To try this patch on jenkins sandbox.
    • [Sirshak] replying to cavium regarding Ubuntu 18.04/16.04 installation problem cavium-4. Done. Status: Following up with Cavium
    • [Khem] Performance Suite: 64B, 9000Jumbo. Jumbo Frames is failing.(khem to jira tkt: startup.conf, Frame size, NIC Card, Hugepages configuration).
    • [Khem] Have a subset of tests running with tag.
    • [Juraj/Sirshak] VPP Device SoC one node topology constraints Status: Orchestration still under discussion.
  • fd.io lab
    • [Juraj] mcbin access Status: Accessible mcbin build failing, wait fro Brian for help.
    • [Sirshak] cavium blades. Status: [Sirshak] Following up with cavium
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • [Khem] make verify on Taishan failure, Khem to create a Jira Tkt. Status:
    • [Sirshak] cavium(4,5,6,7) USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status:
    • [Sirshak] Open Jira tkt look at Florin's patch. Status: Not done to be done next week
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug(VPP-1339). Status:
    • [Lijian] To send the mail vpp-dev (VPP-1339) Status:
    • [Honnappa] To talk to DPDK Mellanox DPDK community. Status:
    • [Sachin] To include Nitin suggestions and upstream.(ARMv8 Crypto changes) Status:
    • [Sirshak] To Open a LF Tkt regarding power cycler remote access fro mcbin. Status:
    • [Sirshak] To raise a Jira Tkt for msb changes. Status:

7/30/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Lijian
    • Andrew Pinski
    • Andy Wang
    • Tina Tsou
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Khemendra
    • Sachin Saxena
  • General Topic
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • [Khem] make verify on Taishan failure Status: No Status
    • [Sirshak] cavium(4,5,6,7) USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status: [Andy] Still working internally, expecting to be done this week.
    • [Sirshak] mlnx tx non vector version used for no-multiseg. Status: Jira Tkt VPP-1355
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug(VPP-1339). Status: Yet to be verified , if fixed.
    • [Sirshak] look at Florin's patch. Status: No status, [Sirshak] Open Jira tkt.
    • [Tina] to get back on New ARMv8 Crypto. Status: Bob to schedule meeting with Cavium. To be tracked by Nitin, bob, tina.
    • [Sirshak] Why Quad to Dual loop improves performance. Status: VPP-1356
    • [Sirshak] To update VPP documentation with fd.io lab devices. Status: Not yet done. [Sirshak] to send email to yi and lijian.
    • [Sirshak] VPP Vectorization Jira Tkt. Status: VPP-1357
    • [Nitin/Sachin] Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK. Status: Waiting for Nitin to help on changes for Internal DPDK. External DPDK support patch done. [Sachin : created VPP-1378] To create a Jira Tkt for Internal Tkt. [Honnappa] To comment on current gerrit item to get it moving.
    • [Sirshak] replying to cavium regarding Ubuntu 18.04 installation problem cavium-4. Status: Sent
    • [Sirshak] Get credentails from Brian for mcbin Status: Done
    • [Sirshak] Send mail to LF for power cycler access for mcbin due to lack of IPMI interface Status: Done
  • VPP
    • [Sirshak] Vectorization
      • Almost done with shuffle.
      • Will get to working with msb.
      • AARCH32 compilation to be discussed.(Shuffle Vector Intrinsic AARCH64 ARMv8 specific)
      • There are no specific requirements on aarch32 at this time.
    • [Lijian && Yi] To continue effort on analyzing IPv4 nos on available platforms with Intel and Mellanox NICs
      • [Sirshak] Why is Mellanox NIC not used in CSIT ? Performance Suite Designed for Intel and Cisco NICs.
    • [Brian/Sirshak] Tuning Dual or Quad loop.
      • [Khem/Sachin] Updates on the changes seen after applying Brian's Patch. Status: No Updates.
    • [Khem] Updates on Benchmarking on taishan. Status: Held up hardware.
    • [Nitin] Any new findings from IPv4 VPP test case. Status: Working HW offloading.
    • [Sachin] To create Jira Card, DPDK IOVA issue. (Created VPP-1377)
    • [Lijian] ipcksum - No Degradation on Qualcomm.
    • [Nitin] Create a Jira Tkt - ip cksum 128 bit vector support.
  • CSIT
    • [Juraj] Parallelizing the make test(CSIT-1139) Status: All VPP instances running on same core. Tried scheduling cores. Dynamically finding available cores. Sweetspot currently: 8 containers with 96 core.
    • [Juraj] Test features listed by talking to dave.
    • [Sirshak] replying to cavium regarding Ubuntu 18.04 installation problem cavium-4. Done. Status: To open a new LF tkt to ask for 16.04 installation.
    • [Juraj/Sirshak] VPP Device SoC one node topology constraints Status: Orchestration still under discussion.
    • [Sirshak] to ask brian about mcbin credentials. Status: Done.
  • fd.io lab
    • [Juraj] mcbin access Status: Created LF tkt.
    • [Sirshak] cavium blades. Status: [Sirshak] To create a LF tkt for Ubuntu 16.04 installation on cavium-4.
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • [Khem] make verify on Taishan failure Status:
    • [Sirshak] cavium(4,5,6,7) USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status: [Andy]
    • [Sirshak] Open Jira tkt look at Florin's patch. Status:
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug(VPP-1339). Status:
    • [Sirshak] to send email to yi and lijian for documentation.
    • [Honnappa/Nitin/Sachin] Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK. Status:
    • [Sirshak] Send mail to LF for power cycler access for mcbin due to lack of IPMI interface Status:
    • [Nitin] Create a Jira Tkt - ip cksum 128 bit vector support.
    • [Sirshak] To create a LF tkt for Ubuntu 16.04 installation on cavium-4.

7/24/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Lijian
    • Andrew Pinski
    • Andy Wang
    • Tina Tsou
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Khemendra
  • General Topic
    • .
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • [Honnappa/Nitin] Aarch64 rpms not building - DPDK Neon Build Break. Status: Nitin, compiler does not support arm neon intrinsics. Honnappa working with compiler team: neon intrinsics is supported #defines not present. Tmp solution available. Honnappa to follow up in DPDK.
    • [Nitin/Sachin] Follow up: Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmap Status: patch committed by sachin merged.
    • [Khem] make verify on Taishan failure Status: No updates.
    • [Sirshak] cavium(4,5,6,7) USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status: PO Approved. Should get going in few days.
    • [Sirshak] mlnx tx non vector version used for no-multiseg. Status: Waiting for x86 hotspots for confirmation and will then open a ticket.
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug(VPP-1339). Status: Seems to be fixed but have not tried all the test cases to confirm.
    • [Sirshak] look at Florin's patch. Status: Not done yet
    • [Tina] to get back on New ARMv8 Crypto. Status: No updates. Close to complete but not upstreamed yet.
    • [Sirshak] Why Quad to Dual loop improves performance. Status: Not saturating no of outstanding prefetches. AI to raise a Jira Bug.
    • [Sirshak] To update Qualcomm Centriq, mcbin, Thunderx1, Thunderx2, Taishan 2280, OD 1000 and OD 3000(Check with Sachin). Status; Not done yet.
  • VPP
    • [Sirshak] vectorization patch effects
      • Made few changes no visible changes.
      • Plan to read mlnx drivers DPDK to understand how neon intrinsics accelerate the vectors.
      • Add Jira Tkt.
    • [Sirshak] Anamolies with mlx5 and VPP.
    • [Honnappa <-> Nitin] Nitin okay with ARM contacting Customer Support for help on TX2 optimal settings.
    • [Brian/Sirshak] Tuning Dual or Quad loop.
      • Visible change in A72.
      • Sirshak sent patch to Sachin and Khem to analyze if they see any improvement.
      • [Khem->Sirshak] Why moving form Quad to Dual improves performance.
    • [Lijian] x86 nos reported: 9.5 Mpps is not same as reported by Nitin Status: Could because of broadwell and skylake difference.
    • [Khem] Updates on IPv4 Benchmarking on taishan. Status: CSIT perfomance bringup on fd.io lab. 18.04 gcc 7.3 trex. Workaround done. DUT VPP crashing. Plan for running L2 test cases.
    • [Nitin] Any new findings from IPv4 VPP test case. Status: not available to discuss
  • CSIT
    • [Juraj] Parallelizing the make test(CSIT-1139) Status: Sent for review, Figuring out optimal no of threads.
    • [Sirshak] replying to cavium regarding Ubuntu 18.04 installation problem cavium-4.
    • [Juraj/Sirshak] VPP Device SoC one node topology constraints Status: [Sirshak] Access to one of the three consoles.
    • [Sirshak] to ask brian about mcbin credentials.
    • [Adarsh] VPP Path/Device Efforts: Nested Container, trying VM inside a container facing some issues. Status: Work on hold as adarsh moved out of the project.
  • fd.io lab
    • [Sirshak] Installation of TG pending. Status: Done
    • [Juraj] mcbin access Status: Two of them can be accessed the other 1 cant.
    • [Sirshak] cavium blades connected need SFP and DACs. Status: Up and running, still need SFP and DACs
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • [Khem] make verify on Taishan failure Status:
    • [Sirshak] cavium(4,5,6,7) USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status:
    • [Sirshak] mlnx tx non vector version used for no-multiseg. Status: Jira Tkt VPP-1355
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug(VPP-1339). Status:
    • [Sirshak] look at Florin's patch. Status:
    • [Tina] to get back on New ARMv8 Crypto. Status:
    • [Sirshak] Why Quad to Dual loop improves performance. Status: VPP-1356
    • [Sirshak] To update VPP documenetation witrh fd.io lab devices. Status:
    • [Sirshak] VPP Vectorization Jira Tkt. Status: VPP-1357
    • [Nitin/Sachin] Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK. Last Status: Waiting for Nitin to help on changes for Internal DPDK. Current Status:
    • [Sirshak] replying to cavium regarding Ubuntu 18.04 installation problem cavium-4. Status: Sent
    • [Sirshak] Get credentails from Brian for mcbin Status: Done
    • [Sirshak] Send mail to LF for power cycler access for mcbin due to lack of IPMI interface Status: Done

7/17/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Lijian
  • General Topic
    • Austin Folks leaving early meeting. If needs be somebody can takeover after 1 hour (9 am CT).
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • [Honnappa/Nitin] Aarch64 rpms not building - DPDK Neon Build Break
    • [Nitin/Sachin]Follow up: Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmap Status: No updates.
    • [Khem] make test on Taishan timings: Status: Done. To look at why make verify.
    • [Sirshak] cavium USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status: Andy waiting for cables to reach him.
    • [Sirshak] mlnx tx non vector version used for no-multiseg. Jira Tkt Status: Not yet done. Will do this week.
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug. Status: Sirshak to open Jira Tkt - VPP-1339
    • [Sirshak] look at Florin's patch. Status: Not yet done.
    • [Tina] to get back on New ARMv8 Crypto.
  • VPP
    • [Sirshak] vectorization patch effects
      • Made few changes no visible change.
      • Plan to read mlnx drivers DPDK to understand how neon intrinsics accelerate the vectors.
    • [Brian/Sirshak] Tuning Dual or Quad loop.
      • Visible change in A72.
      • None in Qualcomm because of pfrm not being hotspot.
      • [Khem->Sirshak] Why moving form Quad to Dual improves performance.
      • Commmunity wide investigation needed.
    • [Lijian] x86 nos reported: 9.5 Mpps is not same as reported by Nitin Status: Investigation.
    • [Khem] Updates on IPv4 Benchmarking on taishan. Status: Stuck with pktgen.
    • [Nitin] Any new findings from IPv4 VPP test case. Status:
    • [Nitin/Sachin] Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK. Status: Waiting for Nitin to help on changes for Internal DPDK.
  • CSIT
    • [Juraj] Parallelizing the make test(CSIT-1139) Status: Almost done, need to work on polishing.
    • [Juraj/Sirshak] SoC devices as non voting VPP device targets. Status: [Sirshak] pending on TG credentials.
    • [Adarsh] VPP Path/Device Efforts: Nested Container, trying VM inside a container facing some issues. Status: No update, Adarsh replaced on the project; postponed
  • fd.io lab
    • [Sirshak] Installation of TG pending. Status: No update from LF - Anton
    • [Sirshak] cavium blades connected need SFP and DACs. Status: Up and running, still need SFP and DACs
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • [Honnappa/Nitin] Aarch64 rpms not building - DPDK Neon Build Break Status:
    • [Nitin/Sachin] Follow up: Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmap Status:
    • [Khem] make test on Taishan failure Status:
    • [Sirshak] cavium(4,5,6,7) USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status:
    • [Sirshak] mlnx tx non vector version used for no-multiseg. Status:
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug(VPP-1339). Status:
    • [Sirshak] look at Florin's patch. Status:
    • [Tina] to get back on New ARMv8 Crypto.
    • [Sirshak] Why Quad to Dual loop improves performance.
    • [Sirshak] To update Qualcomm Centriq, mcbin, Thunderx1, Thunderx2, Taishan 2280, OD 1000 and OD 3000(Check with Sachin).

7/10/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Tina Tsou
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Brian Brooks
    • Lijian
    • Tom Herbert
  • General Topic
    • Austin Folks leaving early meeting. If needs be somebody can takeover after 1 hour (9 am CT).
    • [Tom] Aarch64 rpms not building - anyone can help?
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • [Nitin/Sachin]Follow up: Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmap Status: No updates.
    • [Nitin] make test on Thunderx2 timings Status: Send error report of make test.
    • [Khem] make test on Taishan timings: Status: 22 mins. Try make verify.
    • [Sirshak] cavium USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status: Done for cavium 1,2,3. Need cables for 4,5,6,7. Cables ordered
    • [Khem] to update on nested VMs on performance test cases. Status: No updates. Could be a naming problem.
    • [Sirshak] Q to Maciek: buildroot image with VPP device(within container)? Status: No updates. Check with Brian to see if buildroot works on arm.
    • [Sirshak] mlnx tx non vector version used for no-multiseg. Reason ? Status: No updates. Sirshak to open Jira Tkt.
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug. Status: Asked in the community need to look at backtrace as pointed by damjan. Sirshak to open Jira Tkt.
  • VPP
    • [Sirshak] vectorization patch effects. https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/13229/
      • I see around 15% in qualcomm with mellanox based on some patch which is not vectorization patch need find that.
      • Do others see similar improvement in past 2 weeks.
      • [Sirshak] look at Florin's patch.
    • [Lijian] x86 nos, checking within Nitin for sync on configuration. Skylake Single Core Single Thread: Ipv4 forwarding 64B 15 Mppps.
    • [Khem] Updates on IPv4 Benchmarking on taishan. Status: No Updates
    • [Nitin] Any known comparision between AVF nos on aarch64 and DPDK nos ? On Intel its ~25% and ARM ~20%.
    • [Nitin/Sachin] Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK. Status: Internal DPDK changes effort. Wait for status on New ARMv8 Crypto.
    • [Sirshak->Nitin] Thunderx2(high core count)coremask for DPDK config in VPP startup conf.
    • [Tina] to get back on New ARMv8 Crypto.
  • CSIT
    • [Juraj] Parallelizing the make test(CSIT-1139) Discussion: On Plan and if anybody wants to join hands.
    • [Juraj/Sirshak] SoC devices as non voting VPP device targets. Discussion: mcbin console access will be available once TG credentials are availlable.
    • [Adarsh] VPP Path/Device Efforts: Nested Container, trying VM inside a container facing some issues.
  • fd.io lab
    • [Sirshak] Taishan connected need to verify once we get TG credentials. [Khem] Checked from Taishan side ports connected to TG are up.
    • [Sirshak] mcbin connected need to verify once we get TG credentials.
    • [Sirshak] cavium blades connected need to switch the network adapters before using it for CI.
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • [Honnappa/Nitin] Aarch64 rpms not building - DPDK Neon Build Break
    • [Nitin/Sachin]Follow up: Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmap Status: No updates.
    • [Khem] make test on Taishan timings: Status:
    • [Sirshak] cavium USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch.
    • [Sirshak] mlnx tx non vector version used for no-multiseg. Jira Tkt Status:
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug. Status: Sirshak to open Jira Tkt.
    • [Sirshak] look at Florin's patch.

7/3/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Tina Tsou
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Brian Brooks
    • Ed Kern
    • Song
    • Lijian
  • General Topic
    • Architecture Section in Documentation.
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Khem: Ipv4 layer investigation. To Share some findings next week on parameters for CSIT Status: Done. If yes cover in VPP section.
    • Nitin Follow up: Sachin: Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK. Status: Nitin to provide help on using Internal DPDK
    • Nitin Follow up: Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmap Status: Waiting for response from Damjan
    • Nitin make test on Thunderx2 timings :
    • Khem: status on make test failures: CSIT-1148 Status: Fixed.
    • Khem: make test on Taishan timings: Status: No status
    • Sirshak: cavium USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status: Still working with LF guys
    • Khem to update on nested VMs on performance test cases. Status: No Updates
    • Sirshak & Khem: Documentation review. Status: Done. continuous effort.
    • Sirshak: Q to Maciek: buildroot image with VPP device(within container) ? Status: No updates.
  • VPP
    • Sirshak: Investigate mlnx_burst_rx_vec used in case of no multi-seg but plain mlnx_tx_burst used. Movement of hotspot seen for rx. Probable reason SRIOV(VFs) used. Root cause yet to be found.
    • Sirshak: VPP DPDK 18.05 change done by damjan. mlnx drivers on Qualcomm are a problem. Urge Everyone to test respective sanity in their setup. set interface state <InerfaceName> up - stuck
    • Khem: Discuss various parameters in CSIT for IPv4 Testing.
    • Sirshak: TCP termination performance nos ?
    • Sirshak: vectorization patch effects. https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/13229/
  • CSIT
    • Juraj Make test bottlenecks: Updates: One plausible solution available. Parallelizing the make test(CSIT-1139)
    • Juraj to start looking at SoC devices as non voting VPP device targets.
    • Adarsh: openssl issues ? Issue still persists.
    • Adarsh: VPP Path Tasks.
    • Tkt updates:
      • CSIT-1021: Handle Scapy pcap limit Khem(brief on patch, updates): Status: To check with CSIT team for jenkins build failure. Status: No Updates. Not Priorty.
  • fd.io lab
    • Sirshak: Update from LF guys
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • [Nitin/Sachin]Follow up: Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmap Status:
    • [Nitin] make test on Thunderx2 timings :
    • [Khem] make test on Taishan timings: Status:
    • [Sirshak] cavium USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch. Status:
    • [Khem] to update on nested VMs on performance test cases. Status:
    • [Sirshak] Q to Maciek: buildroot image with VPP device(within container)? Status:
    • [Sirshak] mlnx tx non vector version used for no-multiseg. Reason ? Status:
    • [Sirshak] DPDK 18.05 mlnx bug. Status:

6/26/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Tina Tsou
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Brian Brooks
    • Ed Kern
    • Song
  • General Topic
    • Introduce Song, Yi and Lijian
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Adarsh: Updates on Jira tkt for openssl issues. Updates: none
    • Adarsh: Update on topology for Kubernetes Functional Tests. Updates: Kubernetes, Docker
    • Sirshak Tuning Section - Not Done
    • Khem: Ipv4 layer investigation. CSIT: IPv4. To Share some findings next week on parameters for CSIT
    • Nitin: Send old dpdk input node patch - Done
    • Sachin: Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK. - Nitin to send mail
    • Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmamap: Updates - nitin to send mail
    • Nitin Measure make make test on Thunderx2
    • Khem: measure make and make test on Taishan (Juraj tested it it failed : https://jira.fd.io/browse/CSIT-1148)
    • Sirshak: try to switch eth-usb for regular eth ports on ThunderXs - Created a LF tkt have follow up meeting today.
  • VPP
    • Discuss vec_en_rx/tx=1 parameters.
    • Discuss Vectorized rx and tx functions in mlx5 (in case of no multi-seg)
    • rxd,txd nos in VPP config.
    • mbcache any configuring done from VPP side ?
  • CSIT
    • make test failures Taishan Khem/adarsh (https://jira.fd.io/browse/CSIT-1148)
    • Juraj Make test bottlenecks: Updates: Ran 4 containers (85 mins) (CSIT-1139)
    • mcbin, OD(1000/3000), cavium thunderX as one of the targets for VPP Device Test.
    • Future role of devices. Status: Existing Taishan Servers to be used for performance suite only.
    • Khem to update on nested VMs on performance test cases.
    • buildroot image with VPP device(within container) ? Sirshak to ask maciek
    • Tkt updates:
      • CSIT-1043 (Guest OS becomes unresponsive during CSIT): Juraj Updates: Merged and Closed
      • CSIT-990 (buildroot package) Juraj Updates: Postponed
      • CSIT-1021: Handle Scapy pcap limit Khem(brief on patch, updates): Status: To check with CSIT team for jenkins build failure.
  • fd.io lab
    • Sirshak to have follow up LF guys.
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • Khem: Ipv4 layer investigation. To Share some findings next week on parameters for CSIT
    • Nitin Follow up: Sachin: Upstreaming ARMv8 Crypto Changes with external DPDK.
    • Nitin Follow up: Add Virtual addressing support in IOVA dmap
    • Nitin make test on Thunderx2 timings :
    • Khem: status on make test failures: CSIT-1148
    • Khem: make test on Taishan timings:
    • Sirshak: cavium USB-Ethernet adapters to Quantta Switch.
    • Sirshak: try to switch eth-usb for regular eth ports on ThunderXs - Created a LF tkt have follow up meeting today.

6/19/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Tina Tsou
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Brian Brooks
    • Ed Kern
    • Song
  • General Topic
    • Introduce Yi ,Lijian and Song
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Brian: mcbin Status:
    • Sirshak: Follow up clang changes. Status: Merged updated wiki.
    • Khem: Update Kernel Image based on Sanil's input to move past known VM issues. Try this internally.
    • Khem: LF tkt for Taishan BIOS updates.
      • No update for the ticket
    • Adarsh: openssl updates. Status:
      • Raised Jira ticket, needs to be discussed with VPP folks
    • Adarsh: Kubernetes
      • Working with K8s folks, planning on creating topology from containers for functional tests
    • Khem: VM(s) in container, VFs for containers
    • Sirshak: Summarize tkts in the Tuning Section. Status: Not Done
    • Khem: Investigation on ipv4 layer. Status: Not Done
    • Nitin: Send old patch on dpdk_input node tuning
  • VPP
    • Sachin: Upstreaming armv8 crypto changes. Status: Sachin will try to upstream a patch related to external DPDK
    • Sirshak: Vectorization - Presentation.
    • Any new findings on hotspots or optimizations. Brian: adjusting queue sizes seem to have an effect
    • https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/12932/ discussion: Need to understand the usecase(s) for iommu inside VPP
  • CSIT
    • Discuss current make test time bottleneck.
    • AI Nitin: measure make and make test on ThunderX
    • AI Khem: measure make and make test on Taishan
    • AI Sirshak: try to switch eth-usb for regular eth ports on Thunderxs
    • Future role of devices. Status: will be decided when we have more info (performance on different devices etc.)
    • Question to Nitin/Anyone of how to individually run one test case of the performance suite. Status: no performance testcase can run on 2-node topologies
    • Tkt updates:
      • CSIT-1043 (Guest OS becomes unresponsive during CSIT): Juraj Updates: Sent a patch. Status: Patch is waiting to be merged
      • CSIT-990 (buildroot package) Juraj Updates: No updates
      • CSIT-1021: Handle Scapy pcap limit Khem(brief on patch, updates): Submitted. Jobs still failing, Khem to investigate. Patch related to Jumbo pkts.
  • fd.io lab
    • mcbin get them up, discuss with LF. Status: Brian - No Updates
    • Cavium Blades LF ticket #56713 Status: Tina - Need to have a meeting
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week

6/12/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Brian Brooks
    • John Bromhead
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Adarsh
    • Andy Wang
    • Tina Tsou
    • Andrew Pinski
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Natalie Samsonov
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Brian: mcbin status: Updates from Trishan LF tkt #54490. - No updates
    • Sirshak: Follow up clang changes. Sent: Follow up patch.
    • Khem: Update Kernel Image based on Sanil's input to move past known VM issues. Try this internally and then do it fd.io lab.
    • Khem: LF tkt for Taishan BIOS updates. LF #56898 Status: Not done. Will follow up.
    • Adarsh: openssl updates. Status: IPSEC SA add entry error. To open a Jira tkt tracking this.
    • Sirshak: Summarize tkts in the Tuning Section. Didnt get chance to do this week would try to complete it by next week.
    • Sirshak: Schedule a Meeting between Juraj and Khem. Done
  • VPP
    • Brian: Talk on mcbin perf analysis. Nitin to send a old patch on tuning prefetch on dpdk_input node.
    • Sirshak: VPP Multi-arch optimizations Guidelines
    • Sirshak: Vectorization - Plan to present something next week. Any thoughts ?
    • Nitin: anybody willing to take up ipv4 layer ? Khem to take a look.
    • Sachin: Upstreaming armv8 crypto changes.
    • Nitin: memcpy updates ?
    • Sirshak: clang patch status
  • CSIT
    • Sirshak: Explain VPP Path and VPP Device
    • Open Questions and Answers surrounding VPP Device
      • Q. Do the Intel onboard NICs support VFs via SRIOV on machiattobin boards ?
      • A.[Natalie] We support it but it’s not formally released yet. Will be formally delivered in 18.09.
      • BB - Kernel bypass uses UIO possible to do. [natalie] check support for VF for onboard NICs
      • Q. If Yes, is it a hardware level support or supported in musdk also ?
      • A.[Natalie] MUSDK is not relevant here. Intel NICs are using DPDK and ARM infrastructure directly. We support PCIE SR-IOV with both v4.4 and v4.14 kernels
      • Q. Has anybody tested containers (docker) and any container orchestration system on mcbin (e.g Docker Swarm or Kubernetes) ?
      • A.[Natalie] Yes.
      • Q. K8s or Docker Swarn ?
      • A. [Bin Arm Internal] K8s is good choice version(1.9.4). Use kubeadm to install k8s cluster.
      • Q. VM inside a container works on ARM ?
      • A. [Bin ARM Internal] Use Kata and Runv. Kata/Runv is the solution of hardware-virtualized containers.
      • Q. Container within a Container(nested) works on ARM ?
      • A.[Bin ARM Internal] ‘Docker in docker’ or ‘Docker of Docker’ can works well on Arm platform.
    • Sirshak: Explain the proposed role of Cavium Blades for functional tests.
    • Tkt updates:
      • CSIT-1043 (Guest OS becomes unresponsive during CSIT): Juraj Updates: Sent a patch.
      • CSIT-990 (buildroot package) Juraj Updates:
      • CSIT-1021: Handle Scapy pcap limit Khem(brief on patch, updates): Submitted. Jobs failing Khem to investigate. Patch related to Jumbo pkts.
      • Sachin: To open tkt to track ARMv8 crypto.
  • fd.io lab
    • mcbin Status: Brian - No Updates
    • Cavium Blades #56713 Status: Tina
  • Documentation
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • Brian: mcbin Status:
    • Sirshak: Follow up clang changes. Status: Merged updated wiki.
    • Khem: Update Kernel Image based on Sanil's input to move past known VM issues. Try this internally.
    • Khem: LF tkt for Taishan BIOS updates.
    • Adarsh: openssl updates. Status:
    • Sirshak: Summarize tkts in the Tuning Section. Status: Not Done
    • Khem: Investigation on ipv4 layer. Status:

6/4/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Brian Brooks
    • John Bromhead
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Adarsh
    • Andy Wang
    • Tina Tsou
    • Andrew Pinski
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Natalie Samsonov
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Sirshak: To create a LF tkt for mcbin - Didnt create as Brian is handling it offline. If things remain unresolved this week, will create one. - LF Tkt created #54490. [BB]Trishan to follow up over email.
    • Sirshak: Follow up on cavium-3 : Its integrated to arm CI job.
    • Sirshak: Upstream clang changes: Failing on Cavium TX1 host up-streamed related patch working on review comments.
    • Sirshak: Discuss with Maciek and get a signoff for moving the x86 Hosts to arm rack: Done
    • Honnappa: Provide inputs on how to proceed with comments on Marvell dpdk patch.
    • Honnappa: VPP-1284: To look at this patch to provide comments on performance implications of the fix
    • Juraj estimate moving CSIT functional tests to make test. - 1-2 months for 1 person. Others CSIT looking into this. Better estimate soon.
    • Khem: Create LF tkt for Performance Suite Topology Creation. : Created LF #56736
    • Adarsh: Create a Jira to document Automation Task. Created Jira Tkt.
    • Khem: Follow up Sanil : Known taishan vm issues. Update Kernel Image
    • Khem: LF tkt for Taishan BIOS updates. LF #56898
    • Adarsh: openssl updates. Updated openssl dpdk. VPP is now stable. Will test soon. Adarsh to close the tkt.
    • Nitin: VPP-1064 multiple cache line size patch. Nitin to raise to LF tkt to remove DPDK package from Nexus server.
  • fd.io lab
    • mcbin onboarding issue. - Comments in Action Items - Last Week.
    • new cavium boxes status - JohnB : Blade 1-4 racked. CSIT Functional.
    • Sirshak : Summarize tkts.
  • VPP
    • memcpy patch updates/closure: Abandon. Jira to be updated with more data.
    • clang compilation Sirshak: Working on getting the patch upstreamed.
    • mcbin performance analysis Brian: To talk about this next week.
    • vectorization sirshak(Problem, Plausible Solution, Volunteers): SSE2NEON
    • Sachin: upstreaming armv8 crypto changes.
    • Sirshak: Add Tuning section in Wiki
    • Sirshak: Summarize Jira Tkts
  • CSIT
    • Performance Suite Roadmap(topology, work distribution(khem, juraj)):
    • Sirshak to Schedule a Meeting between Juraj and Khem.
    • CSIT-1043 (Guest OS becomes unresponsive during CSIT): Juraj Updates: Seen by Juraj. Seeing the issue in ipv6 suite. happens during pcie rescan.
    • CSIT-990 (buildroot package) Juraj Updates: Peter from pantheon replied Juraj still looking into it.
    • CSIT-1021: Handle Scapy pcap limit Khem(brief on patch, updates):
    • Sirshak : Summarize CSIT tkts
    • Sachin: To open tkt to track ARMv8 crypto.
  • Documentation
    • Special VPP installations(eg. dpaa).
    • ARMv8 crypto needs to documented.
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • Brian: mcbin status: Updates from Trishan LF tkt #54490.
    • Sirshak: Follow up clang changes.
    • Khem: Update Kernel Image based on Sanil's input to move past known VM issues.
    • Khem: LF tkt for Taishan BIOS updates. LF #56898 Status:
    • Adarsh: openssl updates.
    • Sirshak: Summarize tkts in the Tuning Section.
    • Sirshak: Schedule a Meeting between Juraj and Khem.


5/29/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Brian Brooks
    • John Bromhead
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Adarsh
    • Andy Wang
    • Honnappa Nagarahalli
    • Tina Tsou
    • Andrew Pinski
    • Juraj Linkes
    • Nitin Saxena
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Sirshak: To update LF RT #54919 to follow up on cavium-2 status. - Not Needed as cavium-2 is present.
    • Sirshak: Release Machine to EdK as soon as ThunderX is up. - Done
    • Sirshak: Status on new ThunderXs: Will be decided after talks with Maciek. - Yet to decide.
    • Sirshak: vm unresponsive issue. Tried again still got 27 errors for ipv4 handed over to Juraj for further investigation.
    • Sirshak: To ask about CSIT performance topology connection status. Didnt get time mostly discussing VIRL job.
    • Sirshak: to add OS version to fd.io lab machines. -Done by somebody else.
    • Sirshak: to add Porting and Tuning section. Check with Honnappa
    • Sirshak: to track arm master build failure. - Damjan has sent a fix.
    • Juraj: Access to fd.io lab. - Done.
    • Khem: to create a Jira tkt to document automation task of CSIT. - Still Working on it.
    • Khem: to reach out to Sanil(Huawei)regarding known Taishan problems with KVM. - No response from Sanil yet.
    • Khem: BIOS patch for NUMA node numbering issue. - Khem to create LF RT tkt to do this in fd.io lab.
    • Nitin: VPP-1064 Support multiple cache line sizes per architecture. - Still in discussion with Dave.
    • Adarsh: openssl updates. VPP crashing.


  • fd.io lab
    • mcbin powering on ? Sirshak to create LF tkt. Reach out to Brian offline.
    • Cavium-3 role. Make decision based on feedback Edk. Sirshak to check availability.
    • Sirshak to ask Brian to forward old LF tkt to JohnB.
  • VPP
    • ARMv8 crypto patch from Sachin related to dpdk_plugin only.
    • memcpy issue: going with memcpy and not hand crafted memcpy.
    • clang compilation: Sirshak to upstream to clang related changes add all other aarch64 leads.
    • Brian to use cache stashing result. Updates: No affects for VPP but there is improvement on musdk sample application.
    • VPP-1267(Marvell dpdk patch mcbin): How to move forward based on Damjan's comments. Still discussing. Honnappa to provide some inputs next week.
    • VPP-1276(rpm issues aarch64): Not priorty. Status: No updates.
    • VPP-1284: TLS corruption on aarch64: Status(After Sachin's suggestion): Resolved. Might have performance implications but currently only possible solution. HN to look at this Jira Card in order talk to compiler team if needs be.
  • CSIT
    • TG status in fd.io lab and internal Huawei Lab. - Sirshak to discuss with Maciek. Khem to create LF tkt.
    • CSIT-1019 (timeout of PacketVerifier.RxQueue is not working): Done.(Upstreamed Merged ?). Status: Merged.
    • CSIT-1023 (Crypto Func Tests): VPP still crashing - Adarsh
    • CSIT-1043 (Guest OS becomes unresponsive during CSIT): Sirshak tried pinning the VMs to phy CPUs but tests still failing. Juraj to take over.
    • CSIT-990 (buildroot package) Brian Status: build issue with grub.
    • Juraj: Estimate on moving CSIT Functional tests to make test. Maciek proposal does consider all the implications of letting go VIRL especially parallelization VIRL offers.
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • Sirshak: To create a LF tkt for mcbin
    • Sirshak: Follow up on cavium-3.
    • Sirshak: Upstream clang changes.
    • Honnappa: Provide inputs on how to proceed with comments on Marvell dpdk patch.
    • Honnappa: VPP-1284: To look at this patch to provide comments on performance implications of the fix
    • Juraj estimate moving CSIT functional tests to make test.
    • Sirshak: Discuss with Maciek and get a signoff for moving the x86 Hosts to arm rack.
    • Khem: Create LF tkt for Performance Suite Topology Creation.
    • Adarsh: Create a Jira to document Automation Task
    • Khem: Follow up Sanil : Known taishan vm issues.
    • Khem: LF tkt for Taishan BIOS updates.
    • Nitin: VPP-1064 multiple cache line size patch.:
    • Adarsh: openssl updates.

5/22/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Stanislav Chlebec
    • John Bromhead
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Andy Wang
    • Honnappa Nagarahalli
    • Tina Tsou
    • Andrew Pinski
    • John Bromhead
    • Juraj Linkes
    • rkinsell
    • Nitin Saxena
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Sirshak: To update LF RT #54919 to follow up on cavium-2 status. - having troubles with login will sort it out today.
    • Sirshak: Release Machine to EdK as soon as ThunderX is up: cavium-1 done cavium-2 still has issues with network connectivity.
    • Sirshak: Status on new ThunderXs: Will be decided after talks with Maciek.
    • Sirshak: vm unresponsive issue: No updates didnt get time to try will try this week.
    • Sirshak: To ask about CSIT performance topology connection status. - TBD after call with Maciek.
    • Nitin: VPP-1064 (Patch rejected by dave barach) Discuss cross compilation with Sachin. (Seperate or one unified Makefile). - No Updates.
    • HN: memcpy benchmarking updates honnappa - 2 more tests to be done based on Ola's suggestion.
    • Adarsh openssl issues: Will communicate with Sachin to get this resolved. Made changes based sachin's suggestions still issues to be resolved.
    • Adarsh preparing a sheet updated with his progress on CSIT. - Added to the google sheets.


  • fd.io lab
    • cavium-2 follow up via LF #54919.
    • Talk to Macek regrading TG physical placement on rack.
    • Juraj : Needs access to fd.io lab. Tina to help Juraj with this.
    • Juraj to send email to EdW to get access to fd.io lab.'
    • Sirshak to add OS version to fd.io lab machines.
  • VPP
    • HN->Nitin: Stick with memcpy. Nitin concern SIMD unit being idle with new GCC. Feedback from arm compiler team that vector instructions dont perform as expected on many platforms. 1ns better(dpdk_input node) if using SIMD memcpy on ThunderX. Nitin to try using restricted on non-SIMD memcpy.
    • 1019: CSIT. Py-lint issues. Patch submitted. Khem to merge with Lucian's Patch.
    • 1023: Khem, Adarsh to talk to Sachin to resolve openssl issue. - Sachin suggested some config changes resulted in VPP being unstable. Still working it out.
    • 1043: No updates. Sirshak to investigate this and Khem to reach out to Sanil regarding known Taishan problems with KVM.
    • 990: Brian Updates - Sirshak to get status offline.
    • 1267: l3fwd performance tuning: Status on Marvel patch: - No Updates. Nitin to submit his modified patch with -2.
    • VPP-1276: Sachin facing issues with building rpm. - Any change in status ? No Updates. Low priorty for Sachin. Needs Help.
    • VPP-1284: TLS corruption: Dynamic linking related to Thread local storage. Logs recorded with this tkt.
    • Sirshak to add Porting and Tuning section.
    • Sirshak to track arm master build failure.
  • CSIT
    • Adarsh openssl issues:
    • Performance Testing Khem : NUMA node numbering issue. Last Update: Still working internally. Status: Internal patch for BIOS.
    • Khem: to create a Jira tkt to document automation task of CSIT.
    • Khem : trex installation- Having x86 TG internally. Any luck ?
    • Brian to use cache stashing result. Updates:
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • Sirshak: To update LF RT #54919 to follow up on cavium-2 status.
    • Sirshak: Release Machine to EdK as soon as ThunderX is up.
    • Sirshak: Status on new ThunderXs: Will be decided after talks with Maciek.
    • Sirshak: vm unresponsive issue: No updates didnt get time to try will try this week.
    • Sirshak: To ask about CSIT performance topology connection status.
    • Sirshak: to add OS version to fd.io lab machines.
    • Sirshak: to add Porting and Tuning section.
    • Sirshak: to track arm master build failure.
    • Juraj: Access to fd.io lab.
    • Nitin: VPP-1064 Support multiple cache line sizes per architecture.
    • HN: memcpy benchmarking updates honnappa - 2 more tests to be done based on Ola's suggestion.
    • Adarsh openssl updates
    • Khem: to create a Jira tkt to document automation task of CSIT.


5/15/2018

  • Attendees
    • Sirshak Das
    • Stanislav Chlebec
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Andy Wang
    • Honnappa Nagarahalli
    • Tina Tsou
    • Andrew Pinski
    • John Bromhead
    • Juraj Linkes
    • rkinsell
    • Nitin Saxena
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Nitin: Run a VPP performance test to understand if the memcpy neon version provides any benefits. - Able to run with l3fwd test case. Gives better numbers.
    • Sirshak: Create a higher LF ticket so that it is easier for Trishan/Acton/Venessa/Mohammed to follow up on bringing up ThunderX/mcbin - Not Created yet as I think we are close to solving the issue. If its not solved after today's call will create the tkt.
    • Nitin: start email discussion with Dave to address the creation of single makefile for all ARMv8 devices. Still understanding cross compilation works. Communicating with Sachin.
  • New Joinees
    • Stanislav Chlebec - pantheon
  • fd.io lab
    • Follow up on ThunderX to getting mgmt IP - IP addresses are assigned, but are not up yet.- Have a call today to discuss this with Mohammed
    • USB to Ethernet Question: Andrew: shows up as Ethernet interface.
    • Release Machine to EdK as soon as ThunderX is up. - Sirshak to set mgmt IP and handover the machine.
    • Cavium has shipped more machines as well - Delivered a week back. Tina to follow up with Trishan: 2 Delivered. Sirshak to ask in todays meeting for status on new ThunderX.
    • See the Taishan setup for any VM issue. - Sirshak is trying to reproduce the issue. - Reproduced still debugging.
    • Khemendra : Topology is correct. Sirshak to ask about CSIT performance topology connection status.
    • Khemendra: Intel NIC to be used or Mellanox. HN: Intially use Intel later move to Mellanox.
  • VPP
    • VPP-1064 Dave Barach rejected the patch based on the solution Damjan and Nitin had decided upon following the reason that current approach breaks cross compilation. - NXP has upstreamed the DPAA2 patch, uses a separate segment makefile (dpaa.mk) for DPAA2. NXP does cross compilation most of the time. The approach could be that all platforms create a segment makefile and combine all of them into a single ARMv8 segment makefile. - Nitin Still discussing with Sachin regrading cross compilation
    • One solution suggested was creating a platform specific Makefile for ThunderX - Any Decisions - Same as above.
    • memcpy benchmarking updates honnappa - 2 more tests to be done based on Ola's suggestion. Nitin tested with restrict.
    • 1019: No update. Few rough edges to clean up.
    • 1021: Is it Closed ? Closed.
    • 1023: migrated to openssl using DPDK manual but facing failed TCs - openSSL is integrated in his local environment - VPP not stable in his environment - Updated in the ticket. Status: Aadarsh still trying to get help from community. Khem, Aadarsh to talk to Sachin regarding openssl issues.
    • 1043: No updates. Sirshak to investigate this.
    • 990: Brian Updates:
    • 1267: l3fwd performance tuning: Marvell to upstream a patch to enable dpdk on mcbin by making changes to dpdk plugin in vpp. Updates: natalie sent a email. Working on upstreaming changes to VPP for dpdk_plugin. Working on comparing musdk vs dpdk.
    • Auto-detection of memory channels: Startup conf solution decided. Updates: No updates not priorty now bug raised by Nitin.
    • Sachin facing issues with build rpm currently on 1801 will open a Jira Tkt if issues persists with 1804. Updates: Jira VPP-1276 to track this issue.
  • CSIT
    • Adarsh openssl issues: Will communicate with Sachin to get this reolved
    • Adarsh preparing a sheet updated with his progress on CSIT.
    • Performance Testing Khem : NUMA node numbering issue Updates: No updates. Still working internally.
    • Khem facing issues with trex installation on ARM hence he will try getting a x86 machine as TG. Updates: Still working on getting an x86 in internal lab.
    • brian to use cache stashing result. Updates:
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • Sirshak: To update LF RT #54919 to follow up on cavium-2 status. - having troubles with login will sort it out today.
    • Sirshak: Release Machine to EdK as soon as ThunderX is up: cavium-1 done cavium-2 still has issues with network connectivity.
    • Sirshak: Status on new ThunderXs: Will be decided after talks with Maciek.
    • Sirshak: vm unresponsive issue: No updates didnt get time to try will try this week.
    • Sirshak: To ask about CSIT performance topology connection status. - TBD after call with Maciek.
    • Nitin: VPP-1064 (Patch rejected by dave barach) Discuss cross compilation with Sachin. (Seperate or one unified Makefile).
    • HN: memcpy benchmarking updates honnappa - 2 more tests to be done based on Ola's suggestion.
    • Adarsh openssl issues: Will communicate with Sachin to get this resolved
    • Adarsh preparing a sheet updated with his progress on CSIT.


5/8/2018

  • Attendees
    • Honnappa Nagarahalli
    • Tina Tsou
    • Andrew Pinski
    • Natalie Samsonov
    • John Bromhead
    • Sachin Saxena
    • Khemendra Kumar
    • Andy Wang
    • Juraj Linkes
    • rkinsell
    • Nitin Saxena
    • Ed Kern
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Sirshak: Follow up with Mohammed regarding ThunderX mgmt connectivity and mcbin - IP addresses allocated cavium-2 has IPMI connectivity but console still hanging. cavium-1,3 - Not able to connect to IPMI. - Create a higher LF ticket so that it is easier for Trishan/Acton/Venessa/Mohammed to follow up.
    • Sirshak to hold a call with Khem and Adarsh to understand the Vm_vhsot issue because of nested VMs - Contact established still working on analyzing the setup.
    • Sirshak to create consolidated ARM ecosystem xls to reflect CSIT effort. (Need to add the link to the excel sheet to AArch64 page) - Not Done will do it next week.
    • Honnappa: memcpy benchmarking - Micro benchmarks run on mcbin, qualcomm - vector Load/Store usually go to the LSU unit
    • Brian : CSIT-990(buildroot) - Nitin ran on mcbin, it is failing at a different place - Brian to continue next week
    • Brian to publish a pictorial representation of rx queues and tx queues in multicore case for mcbin. - Moved to next week
    • Khem to analyze make test failure in Taishan - 1804 - Tested with the latest code (make test), all test cases passing
    • ARM - For TG for deciding connectivity - MCBin and Taishan - Sirshak/Brian working on it.
    • Sirshak/Brian to recheck validity of ASLR issue. - Not Done. Next Week.
  • New Joinees
    • Yuval Caduri - from Marvell responsible for MUSDK driver - packet processor 8K chips
    • Natalie - responsible for network PMD DPDK driver
    • Dmitri Epshtein - Responsible for crypto driver expert
  • fd.io lab
    • Follow up on ThunderX to getting mgmt IP - IP addresses are assigned, but are not up yet.
    • Release Machine to EdK as soon as ThunderX is up.
    • Cavium has shipped more machines as well - Delivered a week back. Tina to follow up with Trishan.
    • See the Taishan setup for any VM issue. - Sirshak is trying to reproduce the issue.
  • VPP
    • VPP-1064 Dave Barach rejected the patch based on the solution Damjan and Nitin had decided upon following the reason that current approach breaks cross compilation. - NXP has upstreamed the DPAA2 patch, uses a separate segment makefile (dpaa.mk) for DPAA2. NXP does cross compilation most of the time. The approach could be that all platforms create a segment makefile and combine all of them into a single ARMv8 segment makefile.
    • One solution suggested was creating a platform specific Makefile for ThunderX
    • Honnappa Suggested as this not just a ThunderX issue but also Qualcomm issue hence a ARM specific Makefile would be better.(Issue 128 byte Cache Line Size)
    • Honnappa no update on memcpy benchmarking will do that next week
    • 1019: fixed in local will upstream soon - Patch has issues and some of the issues are fixed
    • 1021: Patch submitted centos env issue CSIT follow up. - This can be closed
    • 1023: migrated to openssl using DPDK manual but facing failed TCs - openSSL is integrated in his local environment - VPP not stable in his environment - Updated in the ticket.
    • 1043: No updates
    • 990: Brian to Retry on mcbin
    • 1267: l3fwd performance tuning: Marvell to upstream a patch to enable dpdk on mcbin by making changes to dpdk plugin in vpp.
    • Auto-detection of memory channels: Andrew's comment no really way to do that hence to go with making it a runtime argument via startup conf instead of being hard coded.
    • Sachin facing issues with build rpm currently on 1801 will open a Jira Tkt if issues persists with 1804.
  • CSIT
    • Adarsh stalled with failure of test cases after using openssl.
    • Performance Testing Khem : NUMA node numbering issue.
    • NUMA node no issue not seen in ThunderX. Khem to post the details of issue and the workaround on Taishan.
    • Khem facing issues with trex installation on ARM hence he will try getting a x86 machine as TG.
    • Nitin known issue with trex with arm and mellanox card.
    • Khem to try L2BD and L2XC.
    • brian to use cache stashing and see the results.
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • Nitin: Run a VPP performance test to understand if the memcpy neon version provides any benefits.
    • Sirshak: Create a higher LF ticket so that it is easier for Trishan/Acton/Venessa/Mohammed to follow up on bringing up ThunderX/mcbin
    • Nitin: start email discussion with Dave to address the creation of single makefile for all ARMv8 devices

5/1/2018

  • New Joinees
    • Natalie and Yuval from Marvell for engineering input.
  • fd.io lab
    • Follow up on ThunderX to getting mgmt IP
    • Release Machine to EdK as soon as ThunderX is up.
    • Cavium has shipped more machines as well.
    • See the Taishan setup for any VM issue.
  • VPP
    • VPP-1064 Dave Barach rejected the patch based on the solution Damjan and Nitin had decided upon following the reason that current approach breaks cross compilation.
    • One solution suggested was creating a platform specific Makefile for ThunderX
    • Honnappa Suggested as this not just a ThunderX issue but also Qualcomm issue hence a ARM specific Makefile would be better.(Issue 128 byte Cache Line Size)
    • Honnappa no update on memcpy benchmarking will do that next week
    • 1019: fixed in local will upstream soon
    • 1021: Patch submitted centos env issue CSIT follow up.
    • 1023: migrated to openssl using DPDK manual but facing failed TCs
    • 1043: No updates
    • 990: Brian to Retry on mcbin
    • 1267: l3fwd performance tuning: Marvell to upstream a patch to enable dpdk on mcbin by making changes to dpdk plugin in vpp.
    • Auto-detection of memory channels: Andrew's comment no really way to do that hence to go with making it a runtime argument via startup conf instead of being hard coded.
    • Sachin facing issues with build rpm currently on 1801 will open a Jira Tkt if issues persists with 1804.
  • CSIT
    • Adarsh stalled with failure of test cases after using openssl.
    • Performance Testing Khem : NUMA node numbering issue.
    • NUMA node no issue not seen in ThunderX. Khem to post the details of issue and the workaround on Taishan.
    • Khem facing issues with trex installation on ARM hence he will try getting a x86 machine as TG.
    • Nitin known issue with trex with arm and mellanox card.
    • Khem to try L2BD and L2XC.
    • brian to use cache stashing and see the results.
  • Action Items - Next Week
    • Sirshak: Follow up with Mohammed regarding ThunderX mgmt connectivity and mcbin.
    • Sirshak to hold a call with Khem and Adarsh to understand the Vm_vhsot issue because of nested VMs - Not done yet will do it next week.
    • Sirshak to create consolidated ARM ecosystem xls to reflect CSIT effort. - Not Done will do it next week.
    • Honnappa: memcpy benchmarking
    • Brian : CSIT-990(buildroot)
    • Brian to publish a pictorial representation of rx queues and tx queues in multicore case for mcbin. - Moved to next week
    • Khem to analyze make test failure in Taishan - 1804 - Next Week
    • ARM - For TG for deciding connectivity - MCBin and Taishan - Working on it.
    • CSIT 990 brian to try - Next Week
    • Sirshak/Brian to recheck validity of ASLR issue. - Not Done. Next Week.
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Khem to ask mohammed, anton for power clearance for 2 new taishan. - Ok for Power Clearance
    • Sirshak to hold a call with Khem and Adarsh to understand the Vm_vhsot issue because of nested VMs - Not done yet will do it next week.
    • Sirshak and Brian to discuss on TG connectivity. - Done
    • Sirshak to create consolidated ARM ecosystem xls to reflect CSIT effort. - Not Done will do it next week.
    • Nitin: To post vlib_main 1804_rc2 issue to community. - Done
    • Sirshak : to check if vlib_main is a issue in centriq. - Done
    • Nitin: AI for creating Jira for number of memory channel identification. - Done
    • Brian to publish a pictorial representation of rx queues and tx queues in multicore case for mcbin. - Moved to next week
    • John B - 1G to USB adapters Ship to lab. - Done
    • Khem to analyze make test failure in Taishan - 1802 rc2 - Next Week
    • ARM - For TG for deciding connectivity - MCBin and Taishan - Working on it.
    • CSIT 990 brian to try - Next Week
    • Sirshak to take 1103 and 1114 - Done
    • Nitin to Create l3fwd tkt - Done
    • Brian to create a mcbin crash tkt. Next Week
    • Maen to provide contact for IO Stashing on mcbin. - Contacted Brian. Brian to provide further input.
    • Sirshak/Brian to recheck validity of ASLR issue. - Not Done. Next Week.

4/25/2018

  • Meeting Time
    • Proposed time 6-8am Tuesday PST.
    • Tina to update wiki with new meeting time.
  • FD.io lab
    • ThunderX
      • OS installed on ThunderX. Switch being sent.
      • 1 ThunderX booted.
      • Plan to use 1G to USB adapters.
      • Varun POC for Cavium.
    • Taishan
      • Its up and connected to Internet.
      • Build and make test 2 TCs failing (VCL TCs failing) - 1802 rc2 used.
      • Brian no update for TG - Meeting on it next week.
      • Khem to ask mohammed, anton for power clearance for 2 new taishan.
    • MCBin
      • Maen POC - To Contact Mohammed.
      • Maen to provide engineering contact for help to Nitin.
  • VPP
    • Round Table status on Porting tkts.
    • Nitin: vlib_main taking a lot of time on both mcbin and thunderx2
    • Sirshak to take on ARM tkts.
  • CSIT
    • Adarsh looking at IPv4 failed test cases with priorty.
    • Sirshak to hold a call with Khem and Adarsh to understand the Vm_vhsot issue because of nested VMs
    • Cavium to publish mcbin cist performance nos but low priority. Nitin faced build-root issue with this.
    • Maciek to host a kick off call.
    • Sirshak and Brian to discuss on TG connectivity.
    • Sirshak to create consolidated ARM ecosystem xls to reflect CSIT effort.
  • Performance Benchmarking
    • Nitin: To post vlib_main 1804_rc2 issue to community.
    • Nitin: vlib_main issue in mcbin and thunderx2 at different points within the function. Not a hotspot in x86.
    • Sirshak : to check if vlib_main is a issue in centriq.
    • Nitin: AI for creating Jira for number of memory channel identification.
    • AI for creating Jira for the crash on Mcbin – Brian
    • Khem to get started on CSIT performance suite this week and publish on shared xls.
    • Brian to publish a pictorial representation of rx queues and tx queues in multicore case for mcbin.
  • Action Items - Last Week
    • Sirshak to add link to xls to wiki page. - Done by somebody else.
    • Brian to raise LF RT ticket about MACCHIATObins - Done. Pinged Mohammed yet hear back from him.
    • Nitin to check 'make test' on MACCHIATObin (16GB DRAM) - Failed. Error related to Python scripts.
    • Honnappa, Khem to check Clang build on arm64. - Tried clang build on Centriq made some changes still fails. clang on x86 has errors still passes. 'make test' fails on x86. Jira Card to be created - AI(Sirshak). Khem to try.
  • Action Items
    • John B- 1G to USB adapters Ship to lab.
    • Khem to analyze make test failure in Taishan - 1802 rc2
    • ARM - For TG for deciding connectivity - MCBin and Taishan
    • CSIT 990 brian to try
    • Sirshak to take 1103 and 1114
    • Nitin to Create l3fwd tkt
    • Brian to create a mcbin crash tkt.
    • Maen to provide contact for IO Stashing on mcbin.
    • Sirshak/Brian to recheck validity of ASLR issue.
    • Sirshak to track down issues.

4/18/2018

  • FD.io lab
    • Temporarily borrow 1x ThunderX to be used for ONAP demo at OpenStack Summit (end of May)? Yes.
    • OS exists on ThunderXs; Varun will keysign with EdW; need to resolve OS netdev connectivity over 10/40GbE
    • OS exists on TaiShan2280; no connectivity to the Internet
  • VPP
    • RC2
      • 'make' passes, 'make test' fail, 'make test-all' ??? - MACCHIATObin (4GB DRAM)
      • 'make' passes, 'make test' pass, 'make test-all' fails - Centriq
      • 'make' passes, 'make test' pass, 'make test-all' fails - x86
    • Build
      • Testing Verify and Merge jobs for 18.04 master on arm64 today
      • Clang build fails on arm? 'CC=clang CXX=clang make'
  • CSIT
    • Adarsh updated CSIT status in xls
    • CSIT-1023: decided to go with OpenSSL instead of ARMv8 crypto library, in DPDK, due to number of algorithms supported
      • e.g. AES-GCM not supported by ARMv8 crypto library
    • Nitin updated CSIT-990 (buildroot) with more information
  • Action Items
    • Sirshak to add link to xls to wiki page.
    • Brian to raise LF RT ticket about MACCHIATObins
    • Nitin to check 'make test' on MACCHIATObin (16GB DRAM)
    • Honnappa, Khem to check Clang build on arm64

4/11/2018

  • Proposal to keep meeting at current time with additional overflow meeting at 8AM PST
  • FD.io lab
    • MACCHIATObins just arrived at VEXXHOST
    • Nitin working on getting IPMI login credentials to provision OS on ThunderX
    • Need to connect Skylake TG machines to Arm machines
      • ETA: 1wk
    • Khem working with Aton (LF) to provision OS on TaiShan2280
      • ETA: 1wk, Ubuntu 17.10
  • VPP
    • Brian to do more benchmarking on MACCHIATObin
    • Khem working on benchmarking clib_memcpy64_x4()
  • CSIT
    • Lucian submitted patches for CSIT-1019, CSIT-1021
    • Lucian looking for contact for ARMv8 crypto driver in DPDK for CSIT-1023
      • See CSIT-1023 for details; looks like DPDK issue?
    • Nitin to add more details to CSIT-990
  • Action Items
    • Sirshak to move JIRA tickets to xls
    • Lucian to work with Nitin/Jerin on CSIT-1023

4/4/2018

  • Propose to move the meeting +2 hours?
  • RC1 cut today
  • FD.io lab
    • Allocate 3 ThunderX for EdK to integrate into CI
      • JohnB from Cavium agreed to supply 3 more ThunderX for CSIT (will pre-install FW & OS)
    • Brian working on provisioning SSDs for MACCHIATObins
    • Khem can ping IPMI interfaces on TaiShan2280s; also needs an OS to be installed
  • VPP
    • Discussed ONS slides
    • Khem has patch for clib_memcpy64_x4() and needs help benchmarking
  • CSIT
    • Lucian found and created JIRA tickets for 3 issues while running CSIT
    • Nitin created JIRA ticket for buildroot issue
    • Khem seeing issues with VM
  • Action Items
    • Nitin/Varun to help provision Ubuntu 16.04 and firmware update on ThunderX machines

3/28/2018

  • Sachin Saxena from NXP joined the call, welcome
  • FD.io lab
    • Khemendra is having issues with Rudy's emails. Hence, not been able to access Taishan servers
    • Nitin will try to access the servers this week
    • MACCHIATObin setup under progress
    • OD1000 is added to Jenkins slave. The build is failing currently. The build can be triggered manually.
  • VPP
    • Discuss Single core, L3Fwd sample perf numbers and analysis next week
    • Sachin is working on compiling 18.01. Native compilation works fine, cross compilation is failing
    • Nitin still working on patch for cache line size
    • VPP-1126 is being used in DPDK input node. Khemendra will take a look at it this week.
    • VPP-1129 Brian/Sirshak will take a look. Looks like it can be closed.
    • VPP-1114 Patch under internal review
  • CSIT
    • Khemendra having issues with interface bring up failing intermittently. Nitin suggested to add delay.
    • Nicolas/Lucian debugging TC-07
    • Khemendra having issues with TG VM crashing randomly with Ubuntu 16.04, QEMU 2.10. Solved by moving to Ubuntu 17.10, QEMU 2.10
    • Nitin using Ubuntu 16.04 with 4.13 kernel
  • Action Items
    • Discuss Single core, L3Fwd sample perf numbers and analysis next week - Brian
    • VPP-1126 Take a look this week as it affects DPDK input node - Khemendra
    • Need more attention on solution for buildroot issue, need more information on failure CSIT-990 - Nitin
    • Create an excel sheet with the test case status - Nicolas/Lucian

3/21/2018

  • Key signing party! Thank you Ed!
  • FD.io lab
    • VEXXHOST currently working on getting another PDU because there are not enough power ports
    • Received SSDs for MACCHIATObins
  • VPP
    • Discuss high level plan for VPP on Arm
    • Nitin still working on patch for cache line size
  • CSIT
    • Need more attention on solution for buildroot issue CSIT-990
    • Nitin moving towards L2 & L3 perf test cases
    • VM crash due to buffer overflow when multiple VMs share NVRAM; resolved in Fedora27

3/14/2018

  • Key signing party! Thank you Ed!
  • FD.io lab
    • ToR switch issue resolved; confirm mgmt IP address assignment to racked Huawei/Cavium machines
    • Started provisioning MACCHIATObins; Andy ordered SSDs to go with them
  • VPP
    • No updates
  • CSIT
    • Adarsh started running CSIT on virtual topology; moved past a paramiko issue, seeing other test failures
    • Ongoing discussions on getting Adrian access to machines

3/7/2018

  • FD.io lab
    • Trishan (LF) to help follow up on progress in FD.io lab
  • VPP
    • More discussion on patch for cache line size; use MIDR register exported by proc fs
    • Decision has been made to use wrappers for atomics
    • Damjan reworked PCI handling code and added native driver for Intel AVF (XL710 i.e. Fortville)
      • Measuring 132 clocks per packet on Skylake (ip4 routing) with VLIB_FRAME_SIZE 256 (default); +1Mpps over DPDK avf/i40e PMD
    • Damjan reworked memcpy() in MEMIF; achieve 2x25GbE line rate with these changes
    • Sirshak working on getting VPP running on Qualcomm Centriq with Mellanox NIC
      • Seeing issues with external DPDK; static works but not shared; is VPP build system missing -libverbs -lmlx5 in LDFLAGS?
      • Nitin noticed DPDK 17.11 Mellanox PMD does not compile
      • Mellanox recently submitted a patch to VPP to support dynamic loading of Mellanox libraries
  • CSIT
    • Adrian does not have machines to work with in Bucharest; machine in Paris that Gabriel was using no longer available
      • AndyW to help resolve
    • Adarsh moved past VM issues; able to launch VPP in VM with virtio interface; starting to run CSIT scripts

2/28/2018

  • FD.io lab
    • Ed Kern to try containerized CI on one OD1000 in parallel with Vanessa
    • Received MACCHIATObins in Austin
  • VPP
    • Adarsh trying to run VPP in VM but getting PCI mapping issue; trying to connect to Linux bridge on host
    • Patches for build breakage were committed; arm64 build stable now
    • Brian able to reproduce low PPS numbers seen on MACCHIATObin
  • CSIT
    • Adarsh can reproduce a crash in qemu 2.10 Ubuntu 16.04; going to try Ubuntu 17.10
    • Need to partition func test cases across people

2/21/2018

  • FD.io lab
  • CSIT
    • Gabriel updated CSIT/AArch64 wiki with PASS/FAIL/OTHER list
      • OTHER - failure due to expect-like parsing of output(?)
      • FAIL - ssh timeout during PCIe rescan(?)
    • Moved past first UEFI crash; still seeing crashing on startup (Gabriel)
      • Setup new Ubuntu environment
      • Continue debugging UEFI issue on Fedora with JeremyL
    • Ubuntu is used pretty much everywhere except for additional CentOS CSIT perf
    • Nitin working on upstreaming changes to CSIT
    • Adarsh working on getting VM interfaces working
  • VPP
    • More discussion on how to handle cache line size
    • Sync'd on patches for build breakage

2/14/2018

  • FD.io lab
    • Working on getting access to LF lab in order to setup OD1000 environment
    • Check with tykeal & zxiiro on trust policy for getting others access (Brian)
    • VEXXHOST
      • Mohammed says they do not have extra rack shelf - we need to send one for 3x MACCHIATObin
      • LF RT tickets: #52434 (ThunderX), #52435 (TaiShan2280), #52436 (MACCHIATObin)
  • VPP
    • Build, unit test, deb/rpm
      • 64B/128B cache line size - working on passing this configuration to rest of build system i.e. DPDK (Nitin)
      • RPi3 32-bit
        • Some parts of patch are 32-bit related, some RPi3 related
        • If there is justification, look into maintaining a 32-bit build on ARM
    • Porting & Tuning
      • If patches need to be tested on multiple Arm chips, please use DO_NOT_MERGE and Code Review -2
      • Two NEON related patches merged, working in progress on others, Nitin testing CLASSIFY_USE_SSE
  • CSIT
    • Please open JIRA ticket with details on VM crashing on startup. DONE: CSIT-922
    • Khem working on running VPP func tests on internal setup

2/7/2018

  • LF lab
    • OD1000 - last machine was racked; Vanessa needs credentials
    • Taishan2280 - machines arrived at Vexxhost; confirm with Rudy/Mohammed
    • ThunderX - machines arrived at Vexxhost; send board details to Mohammed
    • MACCHIATObin - boards arrived in Arm SJC waiting for enclosures (Andy)
  • Build, unit test, packaging
  • VPP
    • NEON usage in vhost - sent first patch for review (Nitin)
      • Need to verify how it performs on other Arm-based machines (Brian)
      • VPP maintainers prefer to use SIMD wrappers, but it might not always be possible
        • Cavium/Arm had to rewrite algorithm for AArch64 instead of use SIMD wrappers in DPDK
    • CLIB_HAVE_VEC128 - working on it (Gabriel)
    • Discussed compiler builtins for atomics in VPP call; need to spin another patch with wrappers based on architecture (Kevin)
    • Seeing prefetch hostspots on TX2+MlnxCX4en (similar to Armada8040) (Nitin)
  • CSIT
    • libvirt crashing on VM startup (Hierofalcon) (Gabriel)
      • Need someone who can reproduce this issue (Arm TBD)
    • Huawei also seeing VM issues (Khem)
    • buildroot doesn't work on Arm (Nitin)
      • Root issue: no support in GRUB for AArch64 in buildroot (?)
        • Need someone who can reproduce this issue (Arm TBD)
      • Peter Mikus replied to Nitin on csit-dev mail list
      • Using a temporary workaround: use a different VM image (Ubuntu Cloud) instead of one produced by buildroot
        • Working on patching DPDK in VM image (Ubuntu Cloud) just like done in buildroot
  • Misc
    • OpenFlow (Nitin, Damjan)
      • Is there an OpenFlow agent for VPP, and can VPP implement OpenFlow rules/tables?
      • VPP is not flow-based like OVS is; they are different
      • Can ODL/Honeycomb be used?

1/31/2018

  • LF lab
    • OD1000 - 1 replacement being installed this week
    • Huawei & Cavium boards should arrive at colo this week; confirm with Rudy
  • Build, unit test, packaging
    • Kubeproxy/NAT failures
      • Not arch related
      • Part of extended unit tests, so does not block CI
    • `make test` passes on D03 & D05 (Ubuntu)
  • MACCHIATObin
    • Seeing hotspots in VPP graph nodes
      • L3 forwarding - ip4 rewrite node
      • L2 cross-connect
      • Try reducing quad loop to a dual loop
      • dpdk-input node highly opt for x86 (could contribute to low perf) but hotspots still in rte_mbuf_t conversion(?)
    • Some examples of runtime code selection based on uarch exist in the codebase
  • CSIT
    • Adrian Oanca join from Enea
    • Gabriel seeing VM crashing during boot; related to # interfaces assigned (6)
    • Nitin ran into issue with buildroot on arm64; see thread on csit-dev

1/24/2018

  • VPP
    • DPDK issue with non-pci network cards
    • build & test status updated
    • VPP-1127 (VEC_128 enable) under discussion. Should we enable this by default ?
    • add Nitin to review Neon commits
    • VPP-1114 currently internal review
    • VPP-1064 under rework after review by Damjan
  • CSIT
    • first 3-nodes functional tests status list
    • TODO Gabriel: share CSIT VM setup env
    • nested VM: build-root package support for ARM. Create Jira ticket for Brian.

1/17/2018

  • Tina to send calendar invite for meeting
  • FD.io lab
    • Cavium shipping
  • VPP
    • Kubeproxy tests failing
    • Khem trying to find out the PCIe address for a given netdev interface
  • CSIT
    • Gabriel setting up 3 node topo with VMs
    • Gabriel working on PASS/FAIL status
  • CSIT 17.10 report

1/10/2018

  • Meeting moved 2 hours earlier - 6AM PT / 3PM CET / 7:30PM IST / 10PM CST
  • FD.io lab
    • Cavium ThunderX shipping soon
  • VPP
  • CSIT
    • Gabriel's patch for aarch64 support in CSIT merged
    • VirtualBox not supported on Arm / Vagrant unknown
      • This is OK for upstream since automation expects VMs to already exist
  • Performance
    • Need plan for 1T; use TaiShans that were sent to lab
  • AIs
    • Brian: Follow up with Vanessa and EdW regarding 'resource issue'
    • Gabriel: Update CSIT wiki page; which tests are passing/failing?
    • Brian: Check with Vanessa how to split machines between CI jobs and CSIT jobs

1/3/2018

  • FD.io lab
    • One OD1000 sent for RMA
    • Huawei PO sent out
    • Cavium PO sent out (?)
  • VPP
    • Gabriel working on patch for "show cpu" to display MIDR as human readable
    • Nitin sent preliminary patch for vhost-user NEON impl
      • Seeing perf differences on different cores; tradeoff is single-threaded perf vs. NEON
    • Kumar built and unit test successfully on D03
    • Nitin to resume patch for supporting different cache line sizes for the same arch
  • CSIT
    • Gabriel cleaned up WIP patch; ready for review
    • Kumar starting CSIT func tests with Ubuntu VMs
      • Scripts for running on dedicated hardware need to be modified, e.g. PCIe resources
    • Kumar to send doc on testing
  • Performance
    • Kumar to start thread on performance testing
  • AIs
    • Brian: Check with Tina on shipping and open LF RT ticket once they have arrived
    • Brian: Need a way to choose either SW or NEON impl based on chip
    • Gabriel: Create list of broken CSIT tests for 2-node topology

12/20/2017 No meeting next week - Dec 27

  • FD.io lab
    • OD1000s - build only
      • 1 of 3 needs to be RMAd
      • Can these be up in time to show 'make test' passes on ARM for 18.01 release report?
    • TaiShan
      • PO in progress
    • ThunderX - build only
      • PO went out
  • VPP
    • Patches / JIRAs
      • Patch for extended test failure, but still more (new) extended test failures - Gabriel
      • Nitin to post vhost-user.c changes for NEON
        • Nitin will finish Gabriel's original NEON patch to add CLIB_HAVE_VEC_128
    • Can we share code on Github e.g. NEON perf tests?
  • CSIT
    • Leading question: How many CSIT test cases are passing/failing?
    • Environment issues preventing running through all CSIT test cases; Gabriel needs dedicated machines or more RAM
    • Cavium & Huawei will join Gabriel in CSIT replication on ARM hardware next week
      • Cavium previously ran vhost test cases manually, now moving to CSIT

12/13/2017

  • VPP
    • Quick overview of work items
    • Waiting to hear back from LF about OD1000 connectivity
      • Changes needed to ci-mgmt
  • CSIT
    • Starting to reproduce CSIT on x86 and ARM (with Gabriel's WIP patch)
      • Some issues with environment variables (perf tests on 2-node)
    • Need Nexus to support aarch64 packages
      • Need a contact for Nexus
  • Share known issues on wiki!
  • Request CSIT 'deep dive'

12/06/2017

11/29/2017

  • VPP
    • vhost-user.c - SSE4.2 only. Implement range search using NEON. (nitin)
    • OD1000 status ?
      • build only
      • can we access them ?
      • what wan we do to help in general ?
    • x86 intrinsic review
    • build VPP on ARM VM on x86
  • CSIT
    • what platforms wil lbe made available

11/22/2017

  • VPP CI
    • 3 ThunderX for Chrismas
  • CSIT
  • Next steps
    • VPP
    • CSIT
      • structure work & send email (Gabriel)
      • is xxhash vs crc32 finished ? (Gabriel)
      • ask Maciek & setup a presentation meeting with someone from CSIT (Tina)
      • find a time to reschedule this meeting before the CSIT weekly call (Brian)

11/15/2017

  • VPP upstream status
    • build && build-release OK
    • "make test" && "make test-debug" OK
    • packaging:
      • Ubuntu 16.04 OK
      • Ubuntu 17.10 ? (TBC)
      • fedora-26 OK
  • vpp continuous test
    • all task required for jenkin's "verify" job are ready
    • TODO: request gerrit hook to Dave Barachs / vpp-dev (NB & GG)
    • set up ci in fdio lab
  • CSIT
    • setting up env
    • ThunderX platforms should arrive this week
    • csit work sharing

11/8/2017

  • Unit tests
    • Tests pass except for random initialization failures
    • Need to hear back from upstream about Extended unit tests
  • Should we run plugins such as NSH SFC?
  • Hardware to lab
    • Huawei h/w stalled
    • 3x ThunderX shipping to FD.io lab
  • CSIT replication
    • Cavium replicating on ThunderX2; getting started
  • Let's track our work in Jira; Brian to migrate tasks to Jira

10/25/2017

  • Gabriel working on vpp init failure in linux_pci_init()
  • Kumar to check with GeorgeZ on Huawei boards shipped to CSIT; need to verify tests also on this environment (package versions from distro)
  • Brian to check whether anything else needs to be done besides 'make test' for upstream enablement